Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Reflection on Module 6

Module 6 of Kellough & Carjuzza discusses different student-centered instructional strategies. The chapter includes pedagogical opposites such as delivery mode v. access mode of instruction. It also discussed the differences between direct experience and direct teaching. I also learned a great deal about ways to get the whole class involved in discussions. Classroom layout plays a big part in class participation. Another important aspect covered was group learning. I am big supporter of learning in pairs and I really like the think-pair-share approach. Learning in pairs and groups can help support the ELLs in your classroom. These methods are also good to get the whole class participating in the discussions. The chapter also talked about using educational games in the classroom. I think games are easy ways to motivate the class while incorporating higher thinking skills. Educational games have many positive purposes in the classroom. This section has really encouraged me to find my own educational games to use in my future class. K&K listed a few that I hope to check out in our library sometime, such as The Amistad Incident: A Classroom Reenactment by T. Levy and The Pullman Strike of 1894 in OAH Magazine of History by J. Bassett.

No comments:

Post a Comment