Friday, September 30, 2011

References for Social Science Education

After searching through a few boring and uninteresting reference options for the week, I finally came across this website, HistoryTech. It has a lot of great posts related to using technology in our history classes. Since we have been working on our first day of class and thinking about classroom procedures, I thought I'd share with you HistoryTech's "Five Back to School Ideas for Social Studies Teachers." (Too bad I couldn't come across this page earlier when we were working on our Classroom Management Plans)
Here's the link to the article post:



http://historytech.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/tip-of-the-week-5-back-to-school-ideas-for-social-studies-teachers/


It has some really awesome ideas. I thought the History in a bag idea could be serve as a great icebreaker for the first day! It asks that you get bags for each of your students. The students than fill up their particular bags with personal items. The students trade bags anonymously. The student then has to try to use the "artifacts" in the bag to decipher who is the original owner of the bag. This is a great way to get the kids to learn about one another, while at the same time having them understand the role of historians. They will learn the historical process and how we must use artifacts, as historians, to help unravel our past.

The article also had some great ideas that I would love to use as warm-ups for my class. I really like the idea of the Timeline Challenge and History Couples. Check them out for yourself!

In my opinion, this is a really neat resource that I will definitely keep in mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment