Monday, September 19, 2011

Reflection on Reading Module 3

I really liked that in this chapter they included "Mistakes to Avoid." I really hope that reading this chapter will help me right now with my after school care kids and in the future when I have my own classroom to deal with. This chapter seems to be the most vital for any new teacher and it is something that I see myself re-visiting and re-reading.

I found that one mistake that I have been making is spending too much time focused on one activity or one group of children. Before I realize it the rest of the class seems to be going 'buck wild.' I feel like I need to deal with situations with specific students more effectively and, in turn, spend more time with the classroom as a whole. I also have noticed that I speak to the class with my 'normal' voice. I have to remember that when working in a classroom, I need to create and use a new 'classroom voice' in order to be heard and respected. I also need to learn to effectively use non-verbal gestures to gain attention (eye contact, mobility, frowning, and proximity). I also have noticed that I use "shh" too much in the classroom. I never realized how ineffective this method truly is at quieting the class. I also should remember that reprimanding should be done as privately as possible. I find myself too often yelling across the room to get a child's attention. I find that my absolute biggest problem is that I try too hard to be liked by the children and do not spend enough time establishing a supportive and disciplined classroom environment.

Hopefully the tips learned in module 3 will help me get through the rest of the week and eventually become natural by the time I have a classroom of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment